Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A collection notice for $20 ... are you kidding me?

Image courtesy of scottchan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Unfortunately not ... this is no joke. I have clients that have small debts to list in their bankruptcy filings as well large debts. Many of the small debts ... $10 ... $20 ... $30 ... are medical co-payments or deductibles and they are being pursued. I suspect some people hope the creditor will go away for such a little amount as they chuck the notice into the trash.

I know many, many, many years ago I did when I threw away the notice from the "Music Club" for the CD's I promised to buy within the year and didn't. But it didn't ...  I ended up paying it and some ... a lot of debt doesn't just go away and even these small amounts can impact your credit report and score.

This article "A Debt Collector Came After Me for $8.97" (http://bit.ly/1BlN8DM) explains the potential impact a small debt can have. The bottom-line you should deal with debt no matter how big or small. If you are considering bankruptcy or some other intervention like debt settlement, than you will deal with it accordingly. If not, you should probably consider paying it if you can; before it hits your credit report.

If you want assistance, legal representation, or just want to know more about Mark Medvesky or Medvesky Law Office, LLC, check out our website at www.medveskylaw.com.

#bankruptcy #Chapter_7 #Chapter_13 #Montgomery_County #law_firm #Bucks_County #Pennsylvania #debt #settlement

No comments:

Post a Comment