Tuesday, July 14, 2015

USCIS Press Release - USCIS Launches Citizenship Public Awareness Initiative

Direct from USCIS:

"USCIS Launches Citizenship Public Awareness Initiative
 
Release Date: July 06, 2015
    
National Effort Highlights Agency’s Free Citizenship Preparation Tools

WASHINGTON—U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services released a series of promotional materials today as part of the Citizenship Public Education and Awareness Initiative. This media campaign builds on a similar effort from 2011 and is being launched under the umbrella of the Task Force on New Americans and President Obama’s executive actions on immigration.

This effort is intended to raise awareness about the rights, responsibilities and importance of U.S. citizenship and provide information on the naturalization process and USCIS educational resources. The promotional campaign guides lawful permanent residents towards the USCIS Citizenship Resource Center for official, accurate and reliable information on citizenship and naturalization topics..." see full release here - http://1.usa.gov/1RwhCAX

***
Image courtesy of photostock at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
In the short time I have been practicing in this area, I have had a good number of more experienced immigration attorneys say it is best for everyone who is eligible to become a US citizens should do so. At first I thought this advice was a little bit arrogant. I asked myself how I would feel if I felt people from other nations were pushing me to become a citizen of their country. Changing citizenship seems to me to be a little more difficult than transferring colleges or moving to a new state.

But now I'm starting to see the issues that arise when you wait. We don't realize it but our paper records can become "corrupted" similar to an electronic file. For instance, some clerk in a DMV incorrectly inputs an address into the immigrant's driving record where the immigrant never lived, someone accidentally registers to vote when they get their license, or some other information is inaccurately enter on one of the thousands of records kept on us without notice until the immigrant applies for citizenship. It can make the process that much harder.

Other issues that I've seen impact the naturalization process are arrests on minor offenses, incapacitation, and the procurement of old records are some of the challenges I have come across in my short time in my immigration practice.  

For these reasons, I now agree immigrants should consider applying for US Citizenship as soon as they are eligible. Eligibility is not a permanent state. It can be lost easier than it was gained.

If you want to know more about Mark Medvesky or Medvesky Law Office, LLC, check out my website at www.medveskylaw.com.

#Bucks_County #Immigration #lawyer #lawyers, #Montgomery_County #Souderton #Law_Firm, #Pennsylvania

No comments:

Post a Comment